Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

T/12 L1 Incomplete Paraplegia Advice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 freedomdan

freedomdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12 / l1 .... t8 or t9

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

help and advice for a 45-day injured, still bed-ridden, beautiful girl who is off to rehab in a couple of days/week. any advice for her for a newly injured, for her family? MVA, roof off jeep fell off, and was thrown out of the car. left hand was skingraphed but is heeling nicely,. feet have pressure and tingling often. advice, suggestions? Thanks so much.

#2 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

I'm a T12 incomplete. My injury happened August 11, 2007.

Advice: Well, you'll here this a lot, but it's true - everyone's different. I was able to start walking in rehab, but there are T12's here who can't. Understand that if she can't do something, no amount of work or effort is going to change that. Too often people put unrealistic expectations on us and it only causes us to withdraw; depression is something most of us fight all the time.

And get here to spend some time here when she can. There's a great amount of good information, some have done videos on how to transfer, there's diet and prescription information, etc.

As her spinal cord begins to heal and the swelling goes down, she'll start to have weird things happen, like muscle spasms, tingling, etc. What exactly I can't tell you (everone's different). If you're not sure of something, post in here. Someone will be able to help.

For now, just be as supportive as you can. Personally, I used my iPod a lot during the long nights when I couldn't sleep. That might help.

Keep us updated!
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#3 carole338

carole338

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 L2 Incomplete ASIA C
  • Injury Date:26-02-2007

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

I was a T10/11 incomplete when my injury happened on Feb. 26, 2007. My daughter did a lot of reading and told me the first three months following a SCI will be a major % of recovery. Not that recovery will continue for years too come but recovery immediately following the injury seems to be at a greater % to total recovery.

I worked extremely hard in rehab and my level of injury dropped from T10/11 to L2 in 7 months. My trunk imbalance stabilized, and I can walk with full leg braces and a walker. I attribute this to early and vigorous exercise. I still don’t have weight bearing functions but I didn’t give up hope.

I feel this is one case where hard work pays off.
Good luck to you.
Carole
"It's only the giving that makes you what you are." Tull

#4 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

She will feel like :D the first few times she gets up but it gets easier and easier!, I agree with Kwag, an iPod is a life saver.

She will have good days and some very bad days, just be there for her when she needs you. Don't try an focus on her injury, she'll be doing enough of that herself, instead treat her like a 'normal' human being!

Finally (a big winge of mine recently) let her go at her own pace, people need motivation to an extent but don't make her feel demoralized because she is unable to do something, people do this without meaning too. Help her if she asks for it, sometimes we really can't reach something no matter how hard we try! But let her become as independent as possible as quickly as possible. You may hate to see her struggling but in the longer term she will thank you.

Good luck
Trinity X

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#5 freedomdan

freedomdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. The more advice, the better.

From what I'm getting is to be there for her (DEFINIETELY) and first 3 months are important. Anyone can comment more on the first 3 months and excerises that people do either in the bed or in the wheelchair? Or advice for when she starts rehab --> standing frame, aqua, and electric stimulation?
As far as any other advice to her, any important excercises to do, and would a foot massagers be a good idea?? Is there anything to do to decrease swelling in the back and promote nerve regeneration?
Thanks.

Edited by freedomdan, 06 April 2008 - 06:17 PM.

#6 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

My first three months are hard to remember. Mostly 'cause of the drugs. They had me on so much valium I could hardly stay awake. She may fatigue easily, as I did (still do actually - but it's better).

Foot massages aren't going to hurt 'cause she probably can't feel her feet. However, I have some swelling in my toes and ankles and have to massage them every night. Go gently from the toes to and past the ankles to help the blood circulate. As for her back, if the hospital isn't doing anything, I think I'd leave it alone. But I'm no expert on that.

If she hasn't had foley catheter taken out yet, she'll have to learn how to cath herself, or have someone do it for her (depending on how old she is). She'll also have to learn how to do a bowel program.

There are no quick fixes. If there were, none of us would be here. I think what Trinity and I are trying to say is that you can't get all caught up in "some day". You're just setting her and yourself up for disappointment and frustration. Just take it as it comes. Of course, if you find something that works, please let us know.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#7 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

My first three months are hard to remember. Mostly 'cause of the drugs. They had me on so much valium I could hardly stay awake. She may fatigue easily, as I did (still do actually - but it's better).

Foot massages aren't going to hurt 'cause she probably can't feel her feet. However, I have some swelling in my toes and ankles and have to massage them every night. Go gently from the toes to and past the ankles to help the blood circulate. As for her back, if the hospital isn't doing anything, I think I'd leave it alone. But I'm no expert on that.

If she hasn't had foley catheter taken out yet, she'll have to learn how to cath herself, or have someone do it for her (depending on how old she is). She'll also have to learn how to do a bowel program.

There are no quick fixes. If there were, none of us would be here. I think what Trinity and I are trying to say is that you can't get all caught up in "some day". You're just setting her and yourself up for disappointment and frustration. Just take it as it comes. Of course, if you find something that works, please let us know.

I agree completely. Until you know how incomplete her injury is don't assume anything, that could well be setting her up for a fall (no pun intended) Do you have an ASIA classification? Try and stimulate her legs/ feet as much as possible but do it in a way so that it doesn't seem that the only reason that you are doing it is for return of function. Make sure that you give her some space though. It's horrible feeling stiffled and feeling like you have to tolerate it because people have made the effort to visit. The rehab staff (nurses, physios, OT's) will do everything they deem appropriate, as Kwag said evryone IS different and what may be suitable for one person may not be for another. Talk with the rehab staff, they deal with it day in and day out and are usually more than happy to discuss plans.
Everything will slowly slot into place
Take care
Trinity X

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#8 RaginTurtleHead

RaginTurtleHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-10-2005

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:41 AM

L-1 incomplete here (T12-L3 Fusion) But I also broke both my legs so not sure if I am any help with exercises as it was months before I was on my feet. But if you have any specific questions I would be happy to help however I can....
Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely

#9 freedomdan

freedomdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the responces. Some specific exercises would be great. How was aqua therapy --> benefits, risks, things to know;
what helps swelling go down / promotes nerve regeneration?
how was electric stimulation like fes bikes and others.

what kind of exercises were beneficial for you either in bed, wheelchair, or any other ones you have?

thanks so much again.

#10 freedomdan

freedomdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:01 AM

just off to rehab today. thanks everyone for their help. if you have any other advice, please do so. as well as any benefits any one has experienced with physical exersice and therapies? thanks!

#11 litz

litz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 Incomplete

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

I was a T10/11 incomplete when my injury happened on Feb. 26, 2007. My daughter did a lot of reading and told me the first three months following a SCI will be a major % of recovery. Not that recovery will continue for years too come but recovery immediately following the injury seems to be at a greater % to total recovery.

I worked extremely hard in rehab and my level of injury dropped from T10/11 to L2 in 7 months. My trunk imbalance stabilized, and I can walk with full leg braces and a walker. I attribute this to early and vigorous exercise. I still don’t have weight bearing functions but I didn’t give up hope.

I feel this is one case where hard work pays off.
Good luck to you.
Carole

I am a L1 incomplet My accident also was in 2007 MVA I walk with a walker and crutch.I read about different storys and I see my level of injury dropped what does this mean?

#12 Nerdbeats

Nerdbeats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:40 AM

where can I buy some leg braces?

#13 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

where can I buy some leg braces?

BUY them? Leg braces are something a Dr. & PT would have to order & fit you for. Braces are not something you can order on-line & I don't think they'd work that way anyhow.......they need to be fitted and be deemed appropriate to assist in walking and only help some people.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.