Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo

Regaining Bladder Control After Cauda Equina Injury?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bensinjury

bensinjury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:40 AM

Can anyone tell me if they have regained any type of bladder function? My son is 18 months out from injury date and has regained his ability to walk, and regained control of his bowel...but still no bladder, anyone know if we have any chance for this to regain control? Has anyone regained this function this late after the initial injury date?

#2 City Girl

City Girl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 INCOMPLETE, ASIA D

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:43 AM

Can anyone tell me if they have regained any type of bladder function? My son is 18 months out from injury date and has regained his ability to walk, and regained control of his bowel...but still no bladder, anyone know if we have any chance for this to regain control? Has anyone regained this function this late after the initial injury date?

I'm 7 months post-injury and just completely emptied my bladder for the very first time last week. I have only been able to do it three other times...out of about 30. I keep trying every day, however. When my muscle function started to flicker, it wasn't consistent either. The pelvic floor is one of the last muscles to return. I only started walking a month ago and it's not well enough to completely divorce my wheelchair yet, but I keep trying. It takes a lot of energy...to do everything now. Sometimes I'm just too tired, but when I'm not, I try. I don't want my body to forget.

Does he have sensation? I have known when my bladder is full for a long time now.

City Girl
~ City Girl ~
Well-behaved women seldom make history.  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976.
I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. Lucille Ball

#3 RaginTurtleHead

RaginTurtleHead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-10-2005

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:28 AM

2 and 1/2 years post.... still no bladder or bowel control. I can tell when my bladder is full most of the time but not in the normal sense, I have kinda had to learn new ways of detecting it lol
“Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely”

#4 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

I've been debating whether to reply to this all day. You see, I've just been diagnosed with Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES). It has to do with the lower part of the spinal cord and nerve roots. Since your son is an L2, I thought it might be worth your looking into.

Here’s what I’ve learned so far: The motor/sensory function returns (on average) between 12 and 18 months post injury. (The usual disclaimer here: everyone’s different – no one can predict, blah, blah, blah). Any function that hasn’t returned by then probably won’t. (Here’s my own disclaimer: I believe in, and have often been the beneficiary of, Divine intervention – so “probably” isn’t “never”. That’s just what the doctor’s say, and they’re just practicing medicine).

My PT says that it’s more probable for the nerve root to heal than the nerve. I’m not really sure I understand that, but that’s the only optimistic piece of news I can offer.

I hope I haven’t bummed you out. But my experience these last eight months has been to hope for the best and learn to deal with where you’re at. If it comes back, have a party!

btw, I’m T12 incomplete at eight months post. I’m very limited as to how much I can walk and my “private sector” hasn’t returned (yet).
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#5 katiekate

katiekate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 complete?

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

My husband is leaking!

He has a t-9 complete injury, but it seems more incomplete. He was told he would regain nothing below the belly button, how it started - but has sensation through his trunk almost completely and some sensation all the way down. He is fine w the bowel program, and pees when he poops. He can force pee out when it starts - but recently it is getting out of hand! He does the self cath fine, but at night it just comes out. Is it time for diapers or is there a chance he is getting some function back?

Injury almost 2 months ago.

Thank you for any responses, we are newbies !!! People with experience is the best resource!

#6 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

At 2 months, yes, he may well get more return. Meanwhile, mop it up!

#7 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come but leaking is a symptom of a urinary tract infection (UTI) so it might pay to get checked by your GP just in case...
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#8 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

There is always a chance to regain feeling, use and control of body parts and functions. I regained by bowels and bladder. For about 37 years I walked with Loftstrand crutches. After multiple bone breaking, my orthopaedic surgeon convinced me to get rig of the crutches and use a power chair. It was great advice I took! Be patient. There will be more return and Ben will have to adjust to it.

Good luck.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.