9 replies to this topic

#1 Ya Diggg!

Ya Diggg!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

I have recently moved into a new home and my room is on the second floor.

I have a tilite aero rigid frame chair. Im a t4 and I manually can get out my chair and transfer up steps. Can anyone tell me how to take my wheelchair up with me? I hate having to ask an AB to bring it up.

Please Help Me
" YA DIGGGGG"

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 Complete

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

If you go to www.youtube.com and type in the keywords "wheelchair stairs" a few dozen short videos will be found.

Good Luck...

Joe

#3 chefzapp

chefzapp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10 & t11

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

Stairs arent so bad once u get ur technique down. If there is a sturdy handrail u should be just fine. Back up tp stairs, reach back, grab rail and pull urself into a wheelie. Now with opposite hand grab the wheel thats next to handrail. As u pull urself up by handrail use opposite hand to push the wheel backwards(remember to use opposite wheel as in the 1 next to rail). U should pop right on up, readjust ur hand on rail and do over till u are all the way up. I find most handrails are to short for the last step. So i push off the end of rail for the last step. i know this sounds confusing and difficult but u can do it easier than the butt hop all the way up. Goodluck! (ive made it up over 5 flights of stairs, u can do it) The way down of course is way easier, haha

#4 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

:wheelchair:

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#5 Texaswheelz

Texaswheelz

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/7 Complete 19 years

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

if your unable to do it like he described then just scoot up on like your doing already but before ya leave your chair down below tie a string, rope, what ever it takes to your chair and then when you get to the top of the stairs you can pull it up to you. same goes for when it is time to get down the stairs if there are to many or it is to steep to do a wheelie down, Just tie the string to it and lower it down one step at a time while your still at the top.

#6 Big Valley

Big Valley

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7/T1 Complete. Me --->

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:55 AM

if your unable to do it like he described then just scoot up on like your doing already but before ya leave your chair down below tie a string, rope, what ever it takes to your chair and then when you get to the top of the stairs you can pull it up to you. same goes for when it is time to get down the stairs if there are to many or it is to steep to do a wheelie down, Just tie the string to it and lower it down one step at a time while your still at the top.

That was going to be my suggestion. I do something along that line when working in the yard. I put all my stuff in a wagon and instead of trying to push or pull it across a bumpy yard I tie a rope to the handle. Then either throw the bundle of rope where I am going or tie it to the back of my chair and let it unwind until I get where I am going. Then I reel the wagon in by pulling the rope. Works well when trying to move heavy items like several bags of mulch or dirt.

Now why did you move to a new house where your room would be on the 2nd floor?

#7 allis53ca

allis53ca

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-5
  • Injury Date:08-09-2003

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

rockets :D

#8 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

rockets :scooter:

Yeah but it's a bugger trying to get the scorch marks out of the carpet :D
T x

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#9 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

rockets :cheers:

Elton John's Rocket Man plays through my head every time I see this thread.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#10 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

rockets :cheers:

Elton John's Rocket Man plays through my head every time I see this thread.

Thanks Kwag, that song has now been stuck in my head for hours, am driving myself mad! :clap:
Trin X

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.