• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky11

Rocky11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:none

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:41 AM

I'm writing a story at a clinic I work at, and I'm looking for people suffering from spinal cord injuries, and I would like to request someone who either knows someone who is paraplegic, or is paraplegic them self. If you'd like, you could PM me to keep it secret. What I would like to know is:

What happened to you?
The treaments you got at the rehabilitation
What a day at home is like and are you and do you feel okay there?
What is your social life like?

Any and all things you can tell me will help, the more the better? Thank you. :D

#2 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:52 AM

Rocky,
not to pick at your use of words, but no one here is 'suffering' from our SCI as much as we're LIVING day to day after having suffered our accidents.

You use the word as if we'll suffer forever after in the present tense, when the truth is, we are living full and loving lives, just like everyone else.

Just realized you posted this in every forum??

You MUST be a NUTJOB!!!!!

Edited by qbounce, 29 April 2008 - 06:14 AM.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#3 Tim13

Tim13

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12
  • Injury Date:06-10-1992

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Yeah, better go with "have a" instead of "suffer from" some folks are a bit touchy.

You'd be well advised to read the posts in the forum, all of the information you seek is already here.

...wonders how many would gladly use the same word in a lawsuit, "pain and suffering" usually brings in big bucks...

#4 knowthill

knowthill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7/T9 Complete
  • Injury Date:20-09-1994

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Not sure what you are asking for and why. Have to remember I am very skeptical of people taking information from me. I have already been humiliated from doctors, nurses, and physical therapist and I owe them my life.
Jeffrey H. Thill
knowthill@hotmail.com

#5 KarenFerguson

KarenFerguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3-L4 married to a C5

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Meh, I really don't see the big thing with this "suffer" thing. Sure, it's a bit harsh ... but I'd rather have people say that then some lame racing comment or an otherwise lame joke. Instead of chewing you out I'll just answer your questions:

What happened to you?
I was born 3.5 months prematurely and had bleeding in my spine at the L3/4 area. This caused me to be a paraplegic. I did have sacral sparing and have complete feeling and use of my bowels and bladder.

The treaments you got at the rehabilitation:
The only therapy I did was when I was a little kid. I "walked" with leg braces and crutches when I was about 3 to the age of 5. Therapy for me was basically learning how to use the braces. Now I'm in my manual chair most of the day - except for transfers to "regular" chairs and my car ...etc.

What a day at home is like and are you and do you feel okay there?
I have a pretty regular life. I wake up, eat breakfast, noodle around on the computer (answer questions like these), then I get hubby up (he's a C5 quad). Make some tea, take a shower and get dressed. Then its errands, appointments, lunch outings, projects ...etc. Back home in the afternoon, go for a "walk" around the neighborhood with hubby, cook dinner, load the dishwasher, watch some TV, noodle around on the computer, then brush teeth and face, get into bed (also help hubby too). Lather, rinse, repeat ... basically everyday.

What is your social life like?
All throughout my life I've had a lot of friends and great family. When I was younger and single used to go out more ... now I'm just an "old married woman" - bars and parties just aren't that fun anymore ... all that loud music, for get it! Anyway, I've always had a great social life.

Hope this helps. :drive:

Hubby's website: www.basketcasecomix.com
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....ly.ferguson.585

#6 topperf

topperf

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 incomplete

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

Meh, I really don't see the big thing with this "suffer" thing. Sure, it's a bit harsh ... but I'd rather have people say that then some lame racing comment or an otherwise lame joke.

Well, if "lame" has the same meaning in english, that it has in my language, you are being very funny, Karen. :specool:
Smile! See me:)

#7 Yong

Yong

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:22-04-2007

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Meh, I really don't see the big thing with this "suffer" thing. Sure, it's a bit harsh ... but I'd rather have people say that then some lame racing comment or an otherwise lame joke.

Well, if "lame" has the same meaning in english, that it has in my language, you are being very funny, Karen. :wink05:

pun INTENDED, huh topperf?

#8 topperf

topperf

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 incomplete

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

Well, if "lame" has the same meaning in english, that it has in my language, you are being very funny, Karen. :wink05:

pun INTENDED, huh topperf?

:crash: I just found out that you can't delete posts once they are posted, (or at least, I can't figure out how...) so, ignore stupid topperf outbursts, please.

nice to see you, Yong :)
Smile! See me:)

#9 Illinois Boy

Illinois Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6
  • Injury Date:08-06-1982

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

What about us Quads?

Jim :wheelchair: :badmood:
For Those About To Rock, I Salute To You......
My Store Click on ads at bottom of my site please....

#10 chefzapp

chefzapp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10 & t11

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:42 PM

Geez give them a break, to much pc(political correctness). I am a CRIPPLE (paraplegic t10 complete)and would be very happy to help you with any questions u might have. Come on people dont take urselves so seriously, we are who we are. So accept urself and move forward do not try to make every1 else around you walk on eggshells. There is such a thing as reverse racism and in a sense i see a lot of disabled peoeple doing just that. Just cuz u got hurt or in ur situation dont blame them or be jealous they are not. I am not trying to lecture those who posted above, I just feel a lot of us have some personal growth that needs to be addressed. I hope i have not offended anyone, just had to get that off my chest. The fact that u are in a chair does not give you the right to be an asshole! chefzapp@yahoo.com if u need any questions answered Roc, and any1 care to bitch about my post please send gripes directly to me.

#11 ParapelegicBUD

ParapelegicBUD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5T6

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:04 AM

Good for you chef! Couldnt have said it better myself! People we all know life sucks in a chair and ya its not fair yata-yata-yata but some peeps that come across as insensitive are only curious and need our help to figure out exactly what makes us tick. I on that hand love to educate people on what its like, many people dont have the slightest concern so its nice when an AB takes an intrest in what happens in our day 2 day lives. Ive got no problem educating you on how ive began my journey as a Para!

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.