Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Hydrotherapy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stecurtis331

stecurtis331

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l4-l5 cauda equina

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

when i went to the spinal unit on wednesday the consultant has put me in for hydrotherapy.
Has anyone and idea what it is and does it help.

thanks
ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE,DEE DOO,DEE DOO,DEE DOO,DEE DOO

#2 cate

cate

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:daughter has c5 c6 sci

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Think of aqua aerobics, or similar, many years ago my mother had this, she has never been able to swim, so for her was terrifing thought. however was fine, as of course you have a pt working in the pool with you usually. I think if you can look on Christopher Reeves video clips, there are some of him in the pool. My daughter comes swimming with me sometimes, and finds she can exercise in water better, but she is more mobile than you, good luck and enjoy.
Cate

#3 stecurtis331

stecurtis331

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

Think of aqua aerobics, or similar, many years ago my mother had this, she has never been able to swim, so for her was terrifing thought. however was fine, as of course you have a pt working in the pool with you usually. I think if you can look on Christopher Reeves video clips, there are some of him in the pool. My daughter comes swimming with me sometimes, and finds she can exercise in water better, but she is more mobile than you, good luck and enjoy.
Cate

thanks cate for replying and your information i will have a look.
thanks again

#4 Lucydog

Lucydog

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5, C6, T10-L1 incomplete

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

I had quite a long course of hydrotherapy and loved it. The water is warmer than usual so you will be able to float easily and you will have a physio helping with exercises. The best one I found was you float on your back and the physio moves you from side to side by the shoulders nice and gently. This encourages the vertebra to seperate out ( not quite what Im trying to describe but Im having a memory loss moment here!!!) and it puts less pressure on the spinal cord or something. I found it great for pain and felt much better for a day or 2. I dont think I had any long lasting benefit but it was a really nice experience even though I was knackered afterwards!!!

#5 stecurtis331

stecurtis331

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

I had quite a long course of hydrotherapy and loved it. The water is warmer than usual so you will be able to float easily and you will have a physio helping with exercises. The best one I found was you float on your back and the physio moves you from side to side by the shoulders nice and gently. This encourages the vertebra to seperate out ( not quite what Im trying to describe but Im having a memory loss moment here!!!) and it puts less pressure on the spinal cord or something. I found it great for pain and felt much better for a day or 2. I dont think I had any long lasting benefit but it was a really nice experience even though I was knackered afterwards!!!

thanks lucy,
thats very helpful :censored: .
i think when you dont know what something is you panic more.
I have them moments to (memory loss) quite often lol.

thanks
ste

#6 OZ Sister

OZ Sister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Sister of T6 Complete

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Hi,

My brother got in the pool this week for the first time and he loved it. He was a bit apprehensive about his legs up ending him however they use some floaties for a while then he was fine on his own. Said he excelled at doggy paddle! He was describing how great it was to stretch out with nothing being behind his back, chair rest ect.

Be warned he was a bit stiff the next day! But he is really keen to get back in the water today, going to go and watch his technique today!

All the best

Shelley

#7 Tired of hurting

Tired of hurting

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T 11-12

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Nasa did a study, and found out spinal cords can heal with weighlessness. So the floating thing is very helpful to heal injurys. Have fun and enjoy.

#8 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,739 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Nasa did a study, and found out spinal cords can heal with weighlessness. So the floating thing is very helpful to heal injurys. Have fun and enjoy.

Can you find the article to back that up, all I could find is the following, which would suggest the opposite.

Prolonged weightlessness results in a loss of muscle strength, muscle volume and bone density, particularly in the legs. These conditions can cause reduced spinal cord excitability, which can lead to loss of locomotor function in the legs. Spinal cord excitability was isolated and measured to study possible ways to reverse the process while still in flight. Reversal of this process will result in a healthier crew following long duration space flight.

http://www.nasa.gov/...s/H-Reflex.html

Remember, zero gravity, and being weightless in a pool are completely different, as the spinal cord of the person in the pool would still be subject to gravity.

The additional movement whilst being supported in the pool however, may assist the cords healing, by keeping neurons firing, and keeping pathways open, in a similar way to the mechanical properties of the Lokomat.

Regards

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.