2 replies to this topic

#1 neptune

neptune

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l4 l5 disc prolapse

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

hi to all
During a rescue at height training exercise at work I was suspended approx 40 feet in the air in a full body harness, I was acting as the casualty to be rescued from height, during the exercise a second person decended and attached himself to me with a none shock absorbing lanyard, He then proceded to cut my rope to "rescue me" and lower me to the ground. He cut through my rope and at that point I fell downwards into my harness, my fall was then arrested suddenly with the ajoining lanyard.
At that point I felt a great jerk to my entire body, at that point no back,leg pain present
Moving on to two to three days later I had crippling pain in my left leg from my waist to my toes
After several weeks later I had an MRI and was found to have a a l4,l5,s1 bulge.
I have since had an op to fit a Wallis stabaliser to my spine. I spent the best part of 2007 on oxycontine,amyltriptaline etc for the pain.
since then i continue to have loss of sensation in my lower leg, sharp pains which come and go and odd pins and needles all the time.
Mu question for group is has anyone lelse had a similar experience, it is being questioned whether the fall i had would cause tthis type of injury.
Thanks

#2 WilliamLX

WilliamLX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 Incomplete

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

hi to all
During a rescue at height training exercise at work I was suspended approx 40 feet in the air in a full body harness, I was acting as the casualty to be rescued from height, during the exercise a second person decended and attached himself to me with a none shock absorbing lanyard, He then proceded to cut my rope to "rescue me" and lower me to the ground. He cut through my rope and at that point I fell downwards into my harness, my fall was then arrested suddenly with the ajoining lanyard.
At that point I felt a great jerk to my entire body, at that point no back,leg pain present
Moving on to two to three days later I had crippling pain in my left leg from my waist to my toes
After several weeks later I had an MRI and was found to have a a l4,l5,s1 bulge.
I have since had an op to fit a Wallis stabaliser to my spine. I spent the best part of 2007 on oxycontine,amyltriptaline etc for the pain.
since then i continue to have loss of sensation in my lower leg, sharp pains which come and go and odd pins and needles all the time.
Mu question for group is has anyone lelse had a similar experience, it is being questioned whether the fall i had would cause tthis type of injury.
Thanks

I have an L2 injury, caused by a fall which compressed and crushed L2. I get very similar symptoms to what you describe, ie I have loss of sensation in my upper left leg, I get pins and needles and at times pain in my leg (although my leg is not injured. I teach Anatomy to Medical Students (I am a PhD not an MD). I would say that yes your fall could cause the spinal injury you describe, and that your symptoms are consistent with a partial injury in the lumbar area of your spine. How far did you fall before the harness stopped you?

#3 neptune

neptune

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l4 l5 disc prolapse

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

hi to all
Thanks

I have an L2 injury, caused by a fall which compressed and crushed L2. I get very similar symptoms to what you describe, ie I have loss of sensation in my upper left leg, I get pins and needles and at times pain in my leg (although my leg is not injured. I teach Anatomy to Medical Students (I am a PhD not an MD). I would say that yes your fall could cause the spinal injury you describe, and that your symptoms are consistent with a partial injury in the lumbar area of your spine. How far did you fall before the harness stopped you?

Hi, sorry in leaving it so long to get back to you, the distance is difficult to say, it felt a long distance, however the lanyard in use at the time was one of the shorter tye we have so in all between 6 to 8 inces i`d guess, goes not sound much but I jerked back at the time, I was also "cut2 as it were twice within and hour of each.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.