Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Spinal Cord Injury Miracle Stories

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chiara

chiara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:friend

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi
I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and it's a very supportive and nurturing environment. However, I've asked myself what I'm looking for when I read these posts, and I've realised I'm looking for hope. And so, I thought it would be good to have a thread about situations that have started out hopeless but ended well. I know that's a subjective/objective thing and that acceptance of a situation can be miraculous in it's own way, and these stories are worthwile also. My friends little boy is c2 incomplete and completely paralyzed from the neck down. The doctors give no hope but we're all waiting for a miracle. Do they happen?

#2 Stickman

Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal cord tumor T8-T10
  • Injury Date:25-08-2006

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hi
I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and it's a very supportive and nurturing environment. However, I've asked myself what I'm looking for when I read these posts, and I've realised I'm looking for hope. And so, I thought it would be good to have a thread about situations that have started out hopeless but ended well. I know that's a subjective/objective thing and that acceptance of a situation can be miraculous in it's own way, and these stories are worthwile also. My friends little boy is c2 incomplete and completely paralyzed from the neck down. The doctors give no hope but we're all waiting for a miracle. Do they happen?

Of course miracles happen, we just have to look for them. i've heard a few stories of doctors saying "you'll never walk again" and turned out to be completely wrong. It may take a long time of course but yes they definately happen, so dont ever lose hope!
  • SU31 likes this

#3 C Herod

C Herod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:my husband is C6/7

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

My husband isn't walking, but i'm sure everyone remembers the football player that was injured about a year ago. I can't remember his name. I hate it when that happens. Of course he had money and they did these new things for him right after his sci. Don't get me started on that. Anyways, he was in the room next door to my husband when he was inpatient TIRR in Houston, TX. He could move his legs enough to push his wheelchair with him, but he couldn't move his arms at all, or of course couldn't walk. My husband and him used to joke about them switching arms and legs. We left soon after he had got started on his therapy, and a while later i saw him on TV. There he was walking with his fiancee. I was really so jealous i wanted to scream. Lucky Lucky. If only we all were to get the same treatment. Not that I wish bad things for him. I'm glad he had his miracle. My point is. You never know what can happen with good therapy and a positive attitude.

#4 Dave Bishopstone

Dave Bishopstone

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/L1 / Parent

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hi

Hi Chiara,

Define miracle! Do you mean turning the clock back and erasing what is, to what it once was? If we are honest then maybe all of us would do that at some point in our lives, be they SCI or AB - but the reality is that we can't. Events happen in our lives and the miracle is that we adapt and cope and even rise above them. The events, good and bad, make us the people we are. To me, entering a Spinal Injuries Unit for the first time to see our SCI son, I had preconceived ideas of depressed people lying in bed, or in wheelchairs looking downcast. What did I find, yeah, some in bed, but laughing with visitors, watching TV, reading - banter with staff - folk in wheelchairs passing by wishing me a good morning and smiling - my own son, never complaining but adapting - that is the miracle - the power of the human spirit to deal with adversity in a positive way. All too easy to say maybe and perhaps some don't manage to do it but the only way to progress is to make every effort, no matter how difficult or painful, to turn seemingly negative events into something positive and of value. Of course I hope your friends little boy makes progress and I am sure he will, but it may not be in the way you expect.

Dave
  • Big D likes this

#5 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

I've been the beneficiary of Divine intervention on several occasions. With respect to my SCI, I was told by three doctors that I would never walk again. It wasn’t like, “You may not be able to…” Oh no, these guys were certain of it. Even when I was discharged my doctor (himself a quad) told me that anyone with my injury shouldn’t expect to walk again and that I was lucky. Personally, if I thought it was luck I’d be buying lottery tickets.

Anyway, I am able to walk short distances. And let me tell ya, having this ability makes things a whole lot easier to get around. In fact, I don’t even use my chair in the house.

As for miracles, my experience is that they usually come when you least expect them (sorry). Or they come in a way that you didn’t expect.
  • SU31 likes this
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#6 Stickman

Stickman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spinal cord tumor T8-T10
  • Injury Date:25-08-2006

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

Hi

Hi Chiara,

Define miracle! Do you mean turning the clock back and erasing what is, to what it once was? If we are honest then maybe all of us would do that at some point in our lives, be they SCI or AB - but the reality is that we can't. Events happen in our lives and the miracle is that we adapt and cope and even rise above them. The events, good and bad, make us the people we are. To me, entering a Spinal Injuries Unit for the first time to see our SCI son, I had preconceived ideas of depressed people lying in bed, or in wheelchairs looking downcast. What did I find, yeah, some in bed, but laughing with visitors, watching TV, reading - banter with staff - folk in wheelchairs passing by wishing me a good morning and smiling - my own son, never complaining but adapting - that is the miracle - the power of the human spirit to deal with adversity in a positive way. All too easy to say maybe and perhaps some don't manage to do it but the only way to progress is to make every effort, no matter how difficult or painful, to turn seemingly negative events into something positive and of value. Of course I hope your friends little boy makes progress and I am sure he will, but it may not be in the way you expect.

Dave

Well said,Dave

#7 fatdave

fatdave

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5/S1 cauda equina

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:33 AM

i have CES, and was told the morning after my surgery i wouldnt walk, stand, or have sex ever again. That was april 9th, today is july 30th. i've been standing for 4 weeks, and have taken 6 unassisted steps with a walker. i am also obese and was told i'd never lose weight since my SCI. i have lost 65lbs since april. I was told i was lucky "that im only paralyzed from the knees down, and be happpy it isnt worse." I dont count it as a miracle. I worked hard and have maintained a positive attitude.\

Doctors arent gods, and in fact many are arrogant.
Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard
US author (1856 - 1915)

#8 New Dimension

New Dimension

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:son /C5-C6 / 20yr old

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi

Interesting I had just searched "HOPE" prior to reading your posting. I feel the same way I think maybe there should be a separate posting area for HOPE because without HOPE life injuried or not is ????????????
There is always HOPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyday!!!!
Celebrate and Cherish every second!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Hi Chiara,

Dave

Well said,Dave

Very well said....maybe we should all tap into "The Last Lecture" to learn what life, love and happiness and our true purpose is........

#9 Hapahowlee

Hapahowlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife of C5,6,7 - Incomp.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:50 AM

I absolutely believe in living life to the fullest and do what makes you happy as long as you aren't really hurting someone.

My husband tends to get aggravated at the small things and I tell him they are no big deal. If you keep sweating the small stuff you'll be really worn down when something big happens. Like with the small stuff I try to get him to see how he's making it seem worse than it really is and it's something that can be taken care of easily. I strongly believe our mental health affects our physical health and it's imperative with especially SCI persons to stay positive. I'm sure most were told the worst when they were first injured. My husband was told he would never walk again or even feel. Well, he has full feeling and he's walked a little with a walker after doing agressive therapy. We've had a lot of stressful things happen in the past few years and his health has declined, but I'm helping him get back in shape. He's never had a pressure sore and since he doesn't cath, he's never had a UTI, he has had 2 bouts with AD both in 1992, but none since then. Now all I have to do is get him to eat more and he loves my home cooking so I make him whatever he likes. I've told him he has to fuel the muscles if he wants to keep them and build them back up. I told him, who knows if he will ever walk again, but lets just get in the best physical shape both of us can be and life will be more enjoyable. When a cure is discovered for SCI, it would be great to be in really good shape so hopefully the treatment(s) will work better. This is just my opinion of course, but keep the mind in good shape and it will help with the body. As far as miracles, I don't know much about them, but I praise my husband for getting out of bed each day. Find something good in each day, hour or even minute. Okay, time to get off my soapbox.

#10 stenosisDwarf

stenosisDwarf

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:spinal stenosis

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Was para. Can now walk and even run

#11 aggzy

aggzy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1-scull
  • Injury Date:20-02-1985

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

hey

dunno about a miracle  but I'm a c1 complete vent quad and I can ejaculate lol

:)

Ag's

• The Black Vegetable and MS1 like this
come see my website

HIGHER THAN SUPERMAN

#12 Tyrtaeus

Tyrtaeus

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Severe impact injuries
  • Injury Date:09-15-2006

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

For me, my miracle was that I didn't die, there is no way I should have survived my accident. I am convinced that it was divine intervention that kept me alive, right at the accident, and again during the four or so hours of bleeding with severe injuries before I was found. I knew deep inside that I had to have been kept alive for a reason, that there were purposes in life that my Lord wanted me to accomplish. Before the accident I was headed down a well-trodden road of pride and arrogance, afterwards I started listening to "that little voice" of conscience, common sense, and the Spirit.

It is really hard sometimes not to fall into despair, but by doing my best to just live and love life and accomplish the tasks that are set before me, I have seen or been told about people around me whose lives were positively impacted by my testimony. And one, at college, a young woman with a heart of dark iron and an extreme distrust of men, was heartbroken when she was sitting behind us in church, watching me blacking out with pain, and my (then fiance) trying to comfort me through the episode of neurological pain. She ended up coming to the Lord and was freed of her burdens, and even shed her distrust of men. Now she is one of the happiest young women I know, and to my joy has forged a strong relationship with another friend of mine, a guy with a heart of gold who I know will love and protect her until the day he dies.

When times get hard, remember the good things in life, and never stop trying. Life isn't easy for anyone, AB or not. We can't forsee the future, only the little step that is in front of us. Perhaps it is washing a dish, maybe brushing the cat, contributing to a philanthropic effort, working a job, or even simply just getting out of bed in the morning. If we can take life one little step at a time, we just might see miracles happening all around us.

Here's to all of us survivors! :cheers:

"The backbone of success is...hard work, determination, good planning, and perserverence." — Mia Hamm 

#13 Barry Norman

Barry Norman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-7
  • Injury Date:11-10-1970

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

In all of the tears I have been a Para I have been hearing  "Miracle cure is just around the corner" Well all I can say is that it is a long corner. I don't know if you have heard of PC Old? he was a policeman way back who was shot and ended up in a chair. He was sponsored by one of the big newspapers to go out to the US for treatment that would allow him to hopefully walk again. Well tragicaly it didn't work for him and after depression he topped himself. I feel that doctors and other experts can build your hope up so that you believe you will walk again only for you to find out it doesn't work. Yes life in a chair is harder but if you have the drive you can achieve. Please don't think your life is over and with the experience of PC Old don't build false hope. Maybe one day it will happen and that is why you should keep yourself fit. For the longer term injury maybe it is to late but who knows. They use to think man would never walk on the Moon but we all know what happened there.

#14 SparrowLegs

SparrowLegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 complete
  • Injury Date:19-04-2012

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Pat Rummerfield's story is an impressive one - seventeen years of intensive rehabilitation later he finally regained the ability to walk unaided and then to jog and then run.

http://www.rummerfield.com/

“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.”

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.