Photo
- - - - -

Is Your Life Better Or Worse?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: Is your life better or worse post injury? (121 member(s) have cast votes)

Looking past your condition (if you can, I know it is hard) and the health consequences of your injuries. Do you consider your life to be better or worse post injury with regard to the new person you have become inside.

1. No (50 votes [41.32%])

Percentage of vote: 41.32%

2. Yes (71 votes [58.68%])

Percentage of vote: 58.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 funkisfunkis

funkisfunkis

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2011

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

In most areas worse, but some upsides post injury too like beeing economically safe, learned more about the body and mentally stronger.
Victoria Concordia Crescit-Victory comes through harmony

#122 NancyE

NancyE

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-01-2006

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger " is the biggest load of crap I have eve heard.
  • greybeard and Mojoking like this
Reality continues to ruin my life. - Calvin and Hobbes

#123 AudreyRose

AudreyRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-9
  • Injury Date:06-15-2005

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Over all, my life is better because I’ve worked very hard to make it better. As far being a para is concerned, it is worse. I spend a lot of time dealing with physical stuff that could have been spent doing more productive things or just fun things. Then there are all the things that I can't do or feel. I am also just too aware of myself as disabled when ever I am with others or when I’m doing physical things. I do get a chance to see how kind people generally are, so that is a positive. I would love it if I could just be me and not a lady in a wheelchair.
~Audrey

#124 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger " is the biggest load of crap I have eve heard.

Thanx 4 the laugh

Over all, my life is better because I’ve worked very hard to make it better. As far being a para is concerned, it is worse. I spend a lot of time dealing with physical stuff that could have been spent doing more productive things or just fun things. Then there are all the things that I can't do or feel. I am also just too aware of myself as disabled when ever I am with others or when I’m doing physical things. I do get a chance to see how kind people generally are, so that is a positive. I would love it if I could just be me and not a lady in a wheelchair.

I really like the way you put that together.
  • AudreyRose likes this
LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

#125 harlton

harlton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5-S1
  • Injury Date:26-01-1990

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

I can understand where you were coming from with this question, and remember well one of the few Dr's I have any respect for, saying a similar thing to me. I think you have a point to, trouble is with a question like this is it's like rubbing shit in a wound and not salt, bound to fester not just burn.

I had a great job before I was injured, invested a lot of time in it, it's only thing I've done and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Also my only talent and quite high paying. Skills were Just not transferable to gimpdom, and by the time I could try doing anything nobody cared.  

Although I'm an incomplete, that has caused me more problems, than many of the benefits which have probably come from it. which has been true of most things I've thought of as pluses at the time.

Retraining, tried it twice, it was a disaster as I simply wasn't physically capable of it, as they well knew. So between Insurance company games, and being the sole bread winner for my family, it was stressful.

My point is that, yes being a gimp may enhance your empathy for others, but empathy not being something that is fostered these days, other than by John Lennon singing adds at Christmas. If you didn't have some to begin with, this experience probably, for most people is not going to manifest it.

Considering all the things that most have to deal with:-  Divorce, income loss, expiration of healthcare benefits  psychological warfare from and by the insurance companies, Social downgrading, loss of friends  inability to do most things you enjoyed before, and last but not least constant pain, that's a pretty big list to look past for a little empathy enhancement and a small improvement in your visible strength of character.

• Tetracyclone likes this

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.