•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Spina Bifida, Menstrual Cycle And Fertility...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Avocado Baby

Avocado Baby

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8(ish) Spina Bifida

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been surfing the internet for ages trying to find some info but I gave up and thought someone here might be able to help me.

I started my periods in my late teens and ever since then, they have been very irregular. When they happen, they only tend to last for a week and are medium flow. Sometimes I have two in a row on a 'normal' cycle but I can go for months without having one. :doh: I know this has its advantages because they're difficult to deal with but I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to think about relationships and babies and I'm getting broody...especially over my neighbour's son.

I saw the neurologist today and thought I'd ask him to see if he knew anything, but he said he didn't know much about SB :lmao: and I need to go to my GP. I was going to go anyway but it was worth asking!

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about how spinal cord injuries/neural tube defects especially Spina Bifida can affect the menstrual cycle and fertility. Anyone?

I don't have a man at the moment so it's not something that I need to know NOW but I'm just thinking ahead.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Paraplegic with Spina Bifida. Sensory and function level is T8. T11-L5 fusion 1993. Laminectomy and decompression T10 2006. Spinal fusion T8-T12 with instrumentation Feb 2007. Moderate kyphoscoliosis. Taking 75mg Lyrica 3xday for neuropathic pain.

#2 newfieboy

newfieboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10/11 Complete

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

I am not sure but I do know that the people at Stanmore or even Stoke might be able to help - I think it best you contact them first..

#3 eleanorigby

eleanorigby

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6/c7 Incomplete

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

Your periods last only a week?! You make it sound so short. The average menstration cycle lasts about 3 days, so even if you only have medium flow, your periods are stretching out. I would skip the GP and see a gyno. Do you take any type of birth control? Pills (I'm not sure about shots or patches) can help regulate your period. A lot of young women have irregular periods I guess (I was very relieved to hear this as I'm irregular too), but since you had SB you might want have more issues.

Edited by eleanorigby, 21 August 2008 - 11:06 PM.

Insert witty, intelligent and deep quote here.

#4 Avocado Baby

Avocado Baby

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8(ish) Spina Bifida

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

Your periods last only a week?! You make it sound so short. The average menstration cycle lasts about 3 days, so even if you only have medium flow, your periods are stretching out. I would skip the GP and see a gyno. Do you take any type of birth control? Pills (I'm not sure about shots or patches) can help regulate your period. A lot of young women have irregular periods I guess (I was very relieved to hear this as I'm irregular too), but since you had SB you might want have more issues.

Thanks for your help. I am going to go to the gyno but I have to go to the GP to be referred. I had no idea that the average menstrual cycle as a week. I'm not taking any pills, having any shots or anything like that.
Paraplegic with Spina Bifida. Sensory and function level is T8. T11-L5 fusion 1993. Laminectomy and decompression T10 2006. Spinal fusion T8-T12 with instrumentation Feb 2007. Moderate kyphoscoliosis. Taking 75mg Lyrica 3xday for neuropathic pain.

#5 Webwych

Webwych

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spina Bifida T-12 partial

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

4-5 days is average, but up to 8 days is perfectly normal so don't panic too much :( . I take Agnus Castus for PMS but it also makes you cycle regular too.

If one parent has SB then your chances of passing it on to the foetus is 4% (SOURCE).

The Spina Bifida Association also have great info on the subject.

Edited by Webwych, 23 August 2008 - 08:12 PM.

#6 StellaLAtella

StellaLAtella

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:spina bifida occulta

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

Hi Pink,
I too was born with SB and it's been no picnic! My periods have always been irregular and I started them when I was about to turn 11 years old. The most important thing that you should know if you are even entertaining the idea of having children (and this goes for any woman), make certain that you get sufficient amounts of folic acid in your daily diet. Especially while pregnant, but even before you become pregnant you should make certain that you are getting plenty of dark green leafy veggies as these are high in folic acid.

Do speak with your OB/GYN about your potential to both get pregnant and to carry a healthy baby full term. Only your doctor can advise you as to what to do regarding this. With SB, there are often other health issues that can be a deciding factor too, so make sure that all is ship/shape BEFORE you start down the pregnancy path. If you have any further questions, please e-mail me and I'll be happy to discus more specific things with you.
I wish you well!
Take Care,
Stella :thread jacked:
~ Time flies, even when I am not having fun!

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.