Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Do You Have A Wheelchair When You Dream?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have a wheelchair when you dream? (177 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have a wheelchair when you dream?

1. Yes (7 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

2. No (85 votes [48.02%])

Percentage of vote: 48.02%

3. More often than not (28 votes [15.82%])

Percentage of vote: 15.82%

4. Rarely (50 votes [28.25%])

Percentage of vote: 28.25%

5. What kind of a question is that? (2 votes [1.13%])

Percentage of vote: 1.13%

6. I don't remember my dreams (4 votes [2.26%])

Percentage of vote: 2.26%

7. I'm never in my dreams (1 votes [0.56%])

Percentage of vote: 0.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Head, T6 incomplete

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Reading the thread about whether or not we see ourselves as disabled in our minds' eyes made me think of dreams and our self-images in them. Do you use a wheelchair when you're dreaming, or is it absent? I find that it's very rarely in my dreams. I can generally get around walking in my dreams, although I do have those anxiety dreams where I can't move for some reason. What about the rest of you?

#2 StillFingers

StillFingers

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5/6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-1978

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:47 AM

Sometimes, most times not, but something in my early yrs was always strange, just a bit off...running on the beach and tripping on my leg bag, sitting down in a bar stool but making sure the cutout in the seat cushion was in the back...30 yrs now on wheels I now know what that was, just confused and not adjusting/acknowledging my state of mind/body. I'm okay sitting, my dreams are clearer now and much less horrible.
Only after we have lost everything, are we free to do anything.
Shooting With Still Fingers - http://shootingwiths...s.blogspot.com/

#3 KarenFerguson

KarenFerguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3-L4 married to a C5

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:57 AM

It's weird, in my dreams I'm usually just kind of "floating" around. I really just kind of move places and don't quite know how I get from point A to B. And yeah, the chair is rarely there as well.

Hubby's website: www.basketcasecomix.com
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....ly.ferguson.585

#4 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:13 AM

A topic similar to this was done a few months ago. Most everyone who replied said the same thing; Ya almost never need a chair in yer dreams. Very often one's legs are somewhat disabled, and maybe the chair is somewhere in sight, but rarely needed.
Kinda wierd, huh?
E
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#5 JesseB

JesseB

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5/6 complete.
  • Injury Date:28-8-08

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:15 AM

yeah, i was wondering the same thing about other people.

no chair when i dream either. maybe i'm just not 'used' to it yet.

#6 Kevin613

Kevin613

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3-4 complete

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

For the first 10-11 years, I never needed the chair in my dreams. In fact, I could actually feel certain parts of my body in my dreams. After a while though, this gradually went away.

Now, I can still walk around in my dreams, but it is almost as if I need to sit down every once in a while in the chair. Although, occasionally, instead of walking I almost float around (similar to what KarenFerguson described earlier).
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!

#7 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

A topic similar to this was done a few months ago. Most everyone who replied said the same thing; Ya almost never need a chair in yer dreams. Very often one's legs are somewhat disabled, and maybe the chair is somewhere in sight, but rarely needed.
Kinda wierd, huh?
E

Ah. I need to take more time to dig back through the threads and not repeat stuff. Y'all will get bored!

It is interesting. We don't really understand dreams, we just have a lot of theories. According to one theory, anything we perceive during the day can show up in a dream in some form, but I've never seen my wheelchair in a dream, so what does that say?

There are some near-constant elements in my dreams, and there are things that change all the time.

Before they removed the brain tumor that grew in the injury zone, I used to have the bloodiest horror movie dreams: that was the only period when my dreams were constantly the same, constantly horrific.

#8 Kev-O

Kev-O

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:05 AM

its weird some parts of my dreams i need the chair an other parts i dont. Some time's i can barley walk an as the dream goes on the better i start walking. I think E-dog is on to something

#9 Sandra62

Sandra62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 complete

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Indeed there is a mess in my dreams regarding a way I move around. Many times I dont remember much and very clear, sometimes moving around is realy a nightmare (as if I walk but cannot move my legs) so I am deffinitely sure that if I am in a wheelchair I am most confortable....

#10 aggzy

aggzy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1-scull
  • Injury Date:20-02-1985

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

im a ventilated quad]

sometimes im in my chair

sometimes i can move my arms

soometimes i can move my legs but not my arms

and sometimes im able bodied but I have to carry my ventilator around

i dream heaps more now than before my accident

Edited by aggzy, 07 October 2008 - 08:57 AM.

come see my website

HIGHER THAN SUPERMAN

#11 Kev-O

Kev-O

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

How do yall feel about walking in your dreams. I like it, its kinda a reminder to how it was b4 ya know like it does not let me forget what its like to be able to stand an walk around

#12 aggzy

aggzy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1-scull
  • Injury Date:20-02-1985

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

i like it to but its kinda annoying sometimes i wake up thinking i have a bit of movement back
come see my website

HIGHER THAN SUPERMAN

#13 carole338

carole338

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 L2 Incomplete ASIA C
  • Injury Date:26-02-2007

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

I usually dream I'm either walking or running. I know somewhere deep in my dream that I should not be using my legs and I overcome this disability. I hate when I wake up.
"It's only the giving that makes you what you are." Tull

#14 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

How do yall feel about walking in your dreams. I like it, its kinda a reminder to how it was b4 ya know like it does not let me forget what its like to be able to stand an walk around

I agree, I like it too. It doesn't make me sad: the dream reality is the dream reality, and I just accept it. When I wake up, I don't feel cheated or anything like that.

#15 kDd

kDd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/7 Incomplete

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:26 AM

I don't need a wheelchair to have sex with countless, insanely hot woman.

So, no, I never have a wheelchair in my dreams.

kDd

#16 allister

allister

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

Not often
Usually doing the things I can't do now. Jogging, fell walking, walking...........
then you wake up ..
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#17 Yasko

Yasko

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1&L2

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

After 15 years of wheelchair life I still walk in my dream! Weird, isn't it!
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too." - Voltaire
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

#18 USMC_FMAgirl058

USMC_FMAgirl058

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L2 Complete
  • Injury Date:04-08-1998

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Typically I kinda float around, sorta like I do in water. That generally entails my butt and legs floating better than the rest of me...

I've only had a few vivid walking dreams, anything else where I'm at normal level I can't feel my legs. Its sort of like a floating torso. Very weird to me. -.- The vivid ones I'm usually running pretty hard in and can feel everything. Its weird, but it kind of makes me remember what it might have been like before the accident.

Almost 11 years now and I still float. -shrug-
Quando omni flunkus mortati.

No seriously, it works.

#19 maisy1996

maisy1996

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 - T2/3

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

im never normally walking or in my chair,im just there. i just get to differnet palces in my dreams with out doing anything.
I am not who i was nor am i who i will become.

#20 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Last dream I can remember... I was a tree.

Can't remember seeing any walking aids.

#21 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,876 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

The only time I remember dreams is when I'm starting a cold or flu. The rest is a complete blank, some would say - a bit like when I'm awake! :ph34r: :crash: :mfrlol:

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#22 Meadowlarkmark

Meadowlarkmark

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-4-C-5 partial quad

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

I still have walking or running dreams--not all the time but everyonce in a while, I have flying dreams too--I am a quad and sometimes I even have dreams where I have normal hand function--those dreams are almost the best.

#23 wheelinPEACE

wheelinPEACE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10; complete

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

13 years now and never dream of me in my chair. my walking dreams are strange because when i realize I'm walking I say to myself, "you can't walk" n after this realization, I never get a chair, but i will from that point use something like stilts or rocket boots or something totally off the wall to keep me walking.

And I find this interesting....a lot of friends and family have told me, "I dreamed u were WALKING last night, u have always been in your chair any other time i dream of you" I emphasized walking because when they say it they are amazed.
Life is a "barrel of monkeys"

#24 topperf

topperf

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 incomplete

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Approaching the 2 year marker here - It was only in my dreams to begin with, now I dream that I walk, play and *** like before.

And then you wake up.
Smile! See me:)

#25 rue2you

rue2you

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Paraplegic Incomplete

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

Funny, I was just talking about this to a friend. She said that she had a dream that I was walking and that brought up the subject. I have very vivid dreams and always remember them - I always have ever since I was a kid. Not bad dreams just dreams. Since this has happened, at first, I was always walking. Now, I dream that I am in a wheelchair most of the time but I still have dreams that I walk around also - like last night! I don't really think anything one way or the other about the dream because they are usually nonsense anyway!
"We cannot choose the road we are asked to travel, but we can choose to enjoy the ride!"
www.aliciareagan.com

#26 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hey we're missing "sometimes". I'd say it's less than usually because I dream of the things I used to do when I was AB. But I dream of me in it more than "rarely". ;)
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#27 rowena u

rowena u

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:paraplegic

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

I really dont dream that Im using a wheelchair. But I dont dream I was walking either. Strange! Coz I only fly and have superpowers, indestructible like super hero, maybe it was really just a dream. Quiet contrary of reality, but it give me nice feeling after waking up.

#28 amy1

amy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Incomplete

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

Sometimes I'm in my chair and sometimes not. Even in the same dream. Sometimes I stand up and walk. When I do, I feel the way I suspect babies feel when they learn to walk- not the aggravating struggle of pt. Oddly enough, I always have my hands back (I'm a c5) and I still have the daily problems. I'll be walking around like I was never injured but then I remember I have to cath. haha. Weird.

#29 sublux

sublux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6-C7 Incomplete, ASIA D

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:12 AM

Usually not, and when I do, I usually realize I don't need it and I get up and walk normally. I'll think I have to be careful walking in my dreams, but I'm always fine.
I have a blog... I've been writing since I was in the hospital.. But I'm keeping that persona and this one separate, so if you'd like the link, PM me

#30 wiggy

wiggy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2/3

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

very early on, like the first 3 months or so, I dreamt I had working legs but was presented with tasks (like kung-fu movie tasks)that I had to overcome. Now, only 8 months out, if I do dream about myself I'm always on my chair. I still know how to control dreams (lucid dreaming) so I quickly float off of the chair and fly to where ever I needs to go. However, I never "land" when I get to my objective because I am still aware that my legs don't work voluntarily.

PM me if you want more info on lucid dreaming, I've been doing it for 20 years or so.

-wiggy-
“The more I learn about the universe, the less convinced I am that there's any sort of benevolent force that has anything to do with it, at all.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.