Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Do You Have A Wheelchair When You Dream?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have a wheelchair when you dream? (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have a wheelchair when you dream?

1. Yes (7 votes [3.98%])

Percentage of vote: 3.98%

2. No (84 votes [47.73%])

Percentage of vote: 47.73%

3. More often than not (28 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

4. Rarely (50 votes [28.41%])

Percentage of vote: 28.41%

5. What kind of a question is that? (2 votes [1.14%])

Percentage of vote: 1.14%

6. I don't remember my dreams (4 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

7. I'm never in my dreams (1 votes [0.57%])

Percentage of vote: 0.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 welshonen

welshonen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Relationship with T 11-12

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

Just kinda looking at it from the AB angle .My girlfriend was in a chair when I met her so have never known her walking.But I still have dreams where she can walk.

Edited by welshonen, 14 October 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#32 twentieth

twentieth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 complete

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:55 AM

The better poll here would be to add the years since injury. I bet the longer injured folk are dreaming they are in the chair more than the newbies. It is desensitization and acceptance by our subconsciuos. Healthy and inevitable if you dont fight it. I answerd "more often than not"and I am 20 years post injury.
"Question every word, every phrase of every alleged truth that is fed to you...for what is true for the master is rarely true for the slave." Gerry Spence.

#33 Staff

Staff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

I have once or twice, but in the end I'm out of it. Most often I see myself walking, running. When I was in the hospital, in my dream, I would get stuck in places not knowing why. Upon waking up and finding out I'm paralyzed, I soon figured out why.

#34 Erick

Erick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-3,T-4 Incomplete

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:56 AM

Reading the thread about whether or not we see ourselves as disabled in our minds' eyes made me think of dreams and our self-images in them. Do you use a wheelchair when you're dreaming, or is it absent? I find that it's very rarely in my dreams. I can generally get around walking in my dreams, although I do have those anxiety dreams where I can't move for some reason. What about the rest of you?

Ok check this out..
Soon after I was injuried I had tons for dreams were I was walking, but after a couple steps I would look down at my legs an an be so thankful that I had them.! So it's like I knew I was hurt in my dreams but I knew I would walk again... weird huh?

#35 MissQuasimodo

MissQuasimodo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 complete

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

most of the times i see the wheelchair as well, but i keep wondering why i need it, because i can still walk ; so my dreams are mostly about trying to figure out why im in a wheelchair when i can actually walk.
You see one door close another door open
But these doors lead me straight to hell

#36 Anna16

Anna16

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

I think 99% of the time I'm either floating or crawling around. However, the other night, I was actually standing, trying to lock the brakes on my wheelchair, and my friend had his arm around me so I wouldn't fall as I bent over to lock them. It was only a few seconds long, but it made me smile a bit to actually be standing :)
You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling

#37 kiwiquad

kiwiquad

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 sensory incomplete

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

The better poll here would be to add the years since injury. I bet the longer injured folk are dreaming they are in the chair more than the newbies. It is desensitization and acceptance by our subconsciuos. Healthy and inevitable if you dont fight it. I answerd "more often than not"and I am 20 years post injury.

Agreed. I'm 27yrs post, & very rarely have the reoccurring dream that has woken me many nights.
The dreaded n/mere:
I'm always walking out of a busy bar with my gf, to find my w/chair totally blown to bits. Absolutely panic stricken, I throw off my heels & desperately collect the bits to reassemble it. I'm hopefully over that *** feeling, it's awful. I've no clue why I've never been able to turn it round to "Yeehaa I'm walking!" & wonder why this scenario is common amongst us. Posted Image

"Feel the fear, & do it anyway"

#38 rattrap

rattrap

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 injury, C6 function
  • Injury Date:26-04-2005

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

ive walked ive floated ive been in a chair and ive had all in the same dream. the craziest were in the ICU when i was on morphine. when i was awake my legs felt like they were touching my chest so in my sleep i was always squatting in a weird position

#39 why_d

why_d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/5 Complete

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

i'm usually very aware in my dreams that i should be and am in a chair, but somehow am able to get up stairs etc and have to usually explain in my dream that i am in a chair... it's never uncomfortable or stressful, i just remind people i use a chair.

i think it stems from me thinking that some people think i'm just in my chair cos i'm lazy (the very first person i'd met outside of hospital, who hadnt known i was in, (i'm sure)thought that and it's stayed with me a bit)

#40 LeahC

LeahC

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

I had one last night where I told someone I couldn't work in their club cos I'm paraplegic then I walked past him haha I thought to myself 'he's gonna notice I'm walking now' and that's when I realised I was dreaming but it wasn't for long. Sometimes I know I'm dreaming and I chase men down the street for sex, don't care what they look like, cos in a dream is the only time I can feel it!

#41 why_d

why_d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/5 Complete

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

I had one last night where I told someone I couldn't work in their club cos I'm paraplegic then I walked past him haha I thought to myself 'he's gonna notice I'm walking now' and that's when I realised I was dreaming but it wasn't for long. Sometimes I know I'm dreaming and I chase men down the street for sex, don't care what they look like, cos in a dream is the only time I can feel it!

that's more or less how mine go, lol

#42 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

I am having less of the walking dreams recently, although when I am walking I know I shouldn't be.

My dreams are more and more pain orientated, whether it is a nightmare of being tortured with fire and shards of glass or being left in a completely helpless situation. I have more recent ones

I have more recent reoccurring dreams which I can't explain yet

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#43 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:d2 to d4 (Admin Note: Banned for acting the gobshite, one time too many)

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:19 AM

Oh yes, I'm gonna love this thread.
I had a dream......oh wait, that was Martin Luther King......

Ehem, where was I, oh yes, dreaming.

So there I was with this fine bit of stuff, man she was stacked in all the right places and she knew how to use all them there body parts that I love so much.
She nailed me left right and center, not sure if there was a chair involved but I hope there was because I wasn't able to walk after it.......
Seemingly, "support" is very "serious" and you should never have a thought of your own..... My Blog

#44 LaurenP

LaurenP

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t5/t6 incomplete (Admin Note: Pretender)

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

Usually find myself walking or running if I'm in the dream at all. Only a few times has my chair even been in the dream and then I'm not in it.I think subconsciously rejecting reality. I dream mostly toward morning I think because when I awake from one there's a moment that I sometimes believe I can walk.

#45 chrissyk4

chrissyk4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t1 -t2

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:00 PM

i dreamt that i was pushing my wheelchair upto a bonfire and my mates were asking what if someone sees you walking i woke up pissed the bed with excitement at that point i realised i was still a para haha

#46 RSUK

RSUK

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6ish complete
  • Injury Date:07-12-2009

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

havent had a dream yet where my chair has featured or in fact that im SCI injured at all. plays with my head when i wake and evey morning i try and move everywhere for 10mins before i get up - just in case.

#47 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

Along the line Trinity travels, after my Dad had barely walked for years he had a recurring dream that he had fallen in the desert where, looking around, it was miles to crawl before there might be anything he could use to drag himself upright and back on the canes.

#48 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

When I dream, I'm AB, 30 years younger, and all the ladies just love me...
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#49 Harry3082

Harry3082

• Closed Account
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 C5 incomplete / Single

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

My Dreams and Nightmares are usually so freaking weird, I feel like I should be committed sometimes!
Aka Jimmy D

#50 tsh3406

tsh3406

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-6/self
  • Injury Date:09-03-1991

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

I'm 20 years post injury, most of the time my chair is present in my dreams, but I seem to be able to get out of it whenever. Weirdest damn thing.

T

#51 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:33 AM

I'm 20 years post injury, most of the time my chair is present in my dreams, but I seem to be able to get out of it whenever. Weirdest damn thing.

T

That's funny because when I dream my chair is there too but I can stand up and push my chair from behind. I can walk but it's slow and I can even walk up stairs. In my dreams, it's like I have to remind myself to get up ...oh yea, I forgot I can walk. Dreams can be crazy.

#52 tsh3406

tsh3406

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-6/self
  • Injury Date:09-03-1991

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

T

That's funny because when I dream my chair is there too but I can stand up and push my chair from behind. I can walk but it's slow and I can even walk up stairs. In my dreams, it's like I have to remind myself to get up ...oh yea, I forgot I can walk. Dreams can be crazy.

That's it, lol! And like if I get stuck, I'll get out of my chair, push it or carry it for a ways, then sit back down, lol....

#53 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

T

That's it, lol! And like if I get stuck, I'll get out of my chair, push it or carry it for a ways, then sit back down, lol....

Exactly....I'm glad I'm not the only one having those dreams!

#54 Aparr

Aparr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-7
  • Injury Date:21-07-2009

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

I have various dreams. Some are with me in my chair and some are before my accident when I'm not. I'm 2 years post and struggle with it too.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-mark twain

#55 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,869 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

I've had very few dreams since my accident but had one a couple of weeks ago. I was at a hotel reception counter checking in and confirming that the room was accesable and stood up from my chair to read or sign something and then was asked by the girl behind the counter why I needed an accesable room if I could walk!
I remember feeling confused and even guilt that I was trying to get the room under false circumstances.
How weird is that?
Rest of the check in process and going to my room didn't feature a chair!
EC
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#56 KayDub

KayDub

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9-10 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:30-05-2011

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

The last two months I've had really vivid (and usually not good) dreams practically every night. I've only got out of the hospital in June so it hasn't been long and almost every dream I'm not in a chair. (Also a lot of the dreams are based on people I was with and things I did before getting sick, like having a lot of dreams with my godfather who passed away last August in them and also doing a lot of skiing and working at my old pizza place job, etc.)

I've had a handful of dreams with my chair, but I don't remember being stuck in it. It's the same as some other people have said, I've been able to hop out and push it around, etc. Weird.

#57 Irish Wheelz

Irish Wheelz

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T6

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

In most of my dream, I'm either in my chair or walking with my walker. I only had a few dreams where I was walking independently. What was weird is that I had never walk independently before.

#58 Charlie-boi

Charlie-boi

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12/10 complete

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

I'm a complete but in my dreams I know somewhere in my mind there's something wrong with me I'm like a incomplete so I can just about walk but it's difficult!! Horrible when you wake too know I can't even twiggle a toe!!

When very first injured sleep was my haven away from reality! I never wanted to wake!!!! Deeeeeep!!! Lol

#59 isobar

isobar

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12-l1/incomplete/

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:38 AM

Whenever i dream a wheelchair is no where to be found.
LITUT = "Life Is The Ultimate Teacher"

#60 scaldedcat

scaldedcat

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 complete
  • Injury Date:02-11-2009

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

I am just coming up to two years post injury and seem to dream constantly throughout the night, but not once have I been in my chair. But the whole time I am aware that I am a paraplegic and also that I have bowel problems and I am continually in search of a toilet, but I can never seem to find one (I know weird, hope I'm not going a bit loopy :crazy: . Hope this isn't a sign I haven't accepted my disablility because I have, maybe some dream expert could help us out.

Edited by scaldedcat, 09 October 2011 - 12:23 PM.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.