26 replies to this topic

#1 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7/t8 complete para

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:01 AM

Hi guys! I haven't posted on here for a while, but I still sift through and read the site. I plan on going to the snow and try sit skiing for the first time. I used to snowboard quite a bit when I was able bodied so I know I'll enjoy it. It has been 6 years since I've touched the snow so I'm excited. I have a few question, hopefully you guys/gals can give me some advice/insight. I'm planning on getting the normal snowboard/ski jacket and pants, possibly a bib to protect me better from snow in my back, I know I'll fall a lot my first time up LOL.

Here are my questions:

1) What snow shoes/boots would you suggest? I don't want to get frost bite because I don't feel how cold they will get. Do you guys/gals just used snowboard boots or other type of snow boots? Of course i'll get some good socks.

2) How difficult is it to wheel around in the snow? Is it difficult like sand or is it different?

3) Are there tires that you use specifically for your wheelchair in the snow?

Any other advice and tips will be greatly appreciated.
adaptivesportsforums.com/

#2 wheeels

wheeels

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

1) I got a good pair of winter boots from Mountain equipment co op and good socks, I still had a problem with keeping my feet warm so I got electric boot warmers. One guy I ski with just has a good -50 winter boot and is fine with that

2) I find that wheeling in the snow sucks depending on the snow. Nice hard packed snow is fine, powder not so nice, hard on top soft on bottom not so nice depends on tires.

3) For tires I got some 2inch mountain bike tires from kenda the work fine for most conditions, I find the biggest problem being the front casters sinking in, but last year I saw one guy with a little sled he made that straps under the front of his chair casters it really helped out so I am going to do something like that this year.

4) Have lots of fun, and get in lots of time. I remember my first year was crap I fell all the time and the instructors didn't think I would ever come back. I am now racing.

#3 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

thanks wheeels! do you have a link of what boots your have and the -50 degree boots? I'm still not sure which ones/types exactly. what you said about wheeling around is what i figured, i think i'll have to fabricate some type of sled like the other guy...that's a GREAT idea! maybe i can market it and sell it. I'll look into getting the 2in kenda mountain bike tires for my spare wheels before the trip. I know i'll have a TON of fun falling everywhere, i just want to be in the snow again.

what sit ski do you own? i'm looking into buying one after this season if everything works out.

#4 wheeels

wheeels

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Here is a link to the boots that I use they are only -40 not sure where the guy got the -50 ones
MEC boots5337

I ride a Praschberger

Where are you going to be skiing?

#5 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

not sure what the program uses that i will be registering with. hopefully i'll be able to be fitted well enough so i can take advantage of the lessons. i'll look into those boots, thanks for the link.

#6 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 complete
  • Injury Date:16-03-2003

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Think my boots are only rated at about -25 degF but they work fine, just about any snow boot with insulation will work as you're not in direct contact with the frozen snow.

Have fun - you'll have a blast, where are you going?
Russ - T2complete

#7 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

just local so it will be lake tahoe. there's a disabled sports program that will give lessons at alpine meadows and another program at heavenly. once registration is open, i will register with both. i'd like to make it up there at least for 4-5 ski days this season, i used to go snowboarding 15-20 days a year. i miss it!!!

i think the mono skis that they use in the lessons are the yetti brand, i forget exactly. are these any good?

russ...what are you using for skiis? i would like to buy one at the end of the season, mainly a really good beginner ski but will be good enough for advanced skiing. im hoping i can hit the black diamonds soon.

#8 wheeels

wheeels

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

Yup Yetti's are good for learning on.

The mono-ski that you get might depend on your budget.

#9 Scotty2885

Scotty2885

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:46 AM

How Much are you for a new Praschberger Mono-ski?? Cheers

#10 wheeels

wheeels

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

I think that by the time I got it from the States up to Canada everything in it was about $5,000 -$6,000 bucks

#11 Scotty2885

Scotty2885

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Outkastsl, Wen Im up skiing I wear Snowboarding boots on my feet cause they keep your feet protected and they keep them really warm. When Im usually goin up skiing I put on mountain bike type tyres on my chair but it all depends on the layout of the place where your goin skiing. I dont think it makes that much difference though.

Edited by Scotty2885, 31 October 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#12 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

They're about £2,500 but it depends on the euro exchange rate.
Russ - T2complete

#13 Scotty2885

Scotty2885

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

They're about £2,500 but it depends on the euro exchange rate.

Cheers Russ, Where about do u do all of ur skiing?

#14 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Only place I've ever skied is winter park Colorado, but I'm going to France next year so will be interesting to compare. How about you?
Russ - T2complete

#15 Scotty2885

Scotty2885

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

Only place I've ever skied is winter park Colorado, but I'm going to France next year so will be interesting to compare. How about you?

I only started mono-skiing early this year up in the Cairngorms Scotland with the charity disabiltysnowsport and through the summer/autumn Ive been skiing at the Xscape snow dome in Braehead Glasgow. I skied all my life before my accident. Im going over 2 Whistler nxt year skiing and to visit family in Vancouver so I want to get my own ski before that.

#16 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:57 AM

Have you thought about applying for a Back-up ski course. I can guarantee that you'll have a huge amount of fun with up to 9 other wheelies and you'll get a great opportunity to take your skiing on to a new level. And you don't even need your own ski.
Back-up Trust Website

Courses for Paras in USA and France and if you get an application in quickly they're showing as still having places available. Give them a ring or drop them an email.
Russ - T2complete

#17 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys, i have a reservation on December 20th at Alpine Meadows with Disabled Sports Far West in Lake Tahoe. I bought snowboard pants with suspenders, jacket and some layering. All i need are boots since I have gloves and goggles still. I'm so excited!

Does anyone have information about attachments for monoskis to snowboards? I'm really interested in it and noticed Freedom Factory has the Shredder plate to attach to snowboards. Just wondering if anyone here has used it.

Does anyone know these guys or are you one of them? I'd like to talk to them regarding the snowboarding.

#18 Scotty2885

Scotty2885

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hey Russ

Yeh I have looked at back up courses, the charity disabilitysnowsport that I ski with run the same kind of courses 2 the US, Switzerland, France, Austria & Sweeden. Ive been away on holiday the past month so I haven't done anything about my mono but with the way the exchange rate is just now its coming in alot more expensive once u have added the price of a ski, binding, outriggers etc. Never mind the snow is almost here, YES!! Bring it ON!!

Edited by Scotty2885, 11 December 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#19 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

just wanted to report that i have made 2 trips up already and skied half a day on my first day and the full day on my second trip. boy do i love it! i feel soo free again. i used to snowboard from 12-22 years old when i had my accident. on my second day i was able to make it down the bunny slope without falling twice...almost 3 times, i fell right in front of the ski lift line, lol.

here's a new question, are there any programs in the US that will provide assistance in purchasing a monoski? it's sooo expensive and i dont think i'll be able to afford it. thanks for the encouragement and comments.

#20 twisted_ophelia

twisted_ophelia

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 incomplete

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

http://www.challengedathletes.org

If they accept international applications, I am going to apply for a grant for a mono ski for myself and buy a Revolution. It's worth a shot.

I posted this in another mono skiing thread over in the Extreme Sports section but I'm going to repost it here since this thread seems more active...

I am going out to Mammoth Lakes (California) in March to ski with a friend who's an awesome mono-skier (who's also going to teach me) and I am super excited about it. I have only skied in a bi-ski (adaptive ski programs here are very small with only bi-skis available, no monos). Can anyone give me tips on getting on the chair lift?? I'd really like to be able to do it independently as soon as possible. My upper body strength is good but I'm not the biggest person and am worried that I won't be strong enough to do it.

Edited by twisted_ophelia, 11 February 2009 - 04:40 AM.

Mimi Machine! Extreme Sports and Spinal Cord Injury Blog - http://mimimachine.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/twisted_ophelia

#21 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

thanks for the link, i'll email them and see if they can help me out. for me, i was told to put my outriggers in the push position, have someone count down for when the chair is right behind me and then i look down, push up to clear the chair lift and look back. looking back will shift your weight backwards into the seat ensuring you get on completely. then getting off is easier, put up your arms with the outriggers, and when you get to the ramp, i just throw my arms forward and down and my body slides forward and down the ramp. hope that helps.

#22 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Getting on the lift is a little model dependent. My praschburger locks in the load position so you push out into the loading place - lift the bob up into the load position and then pretty much just wait for the chair to come round and scoop you up pushing back into the chair as it impacts the bob. Arm and shoulder strength is essential but more than anything it's just practice. You're only really lifting your own weight and a fibreglass seat so not being the biggest person won't be a disadvantage. After 5 seasons I'm still only about 90% independent but that's part my level and part not doing enough strength training.

Off to Winter Park in Colorado with a friend in 10 days for a week, back home for two then a week in Combloux France. Can't wait, got to refit and reset my shock this weekend, just paid £100 to have it serviced, hoping it'll ride the bumps a bit better this season. I got my sit ski second hand but you do need to keep your eyes peeled and act quick when you see one for sale.
Russ - T2complete

#23 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

Off to Winter Park in Colorado with a friend in 10 days for a week, back home for two then a week in Combloux France. Can't wait, got to refit and reset my shock this weekend, just paid £100 to have it serviced, hoping it'll ride the bumps a bit better this season. I got my sit ski second hand but you do need to keep your eyes peeled and act quick when you see one for sale.

Wow, sounds like a fun trip! are you able to pick yourself up after a fall? How long did it take for you to get strong enough or learn how to do so? It's such a struggle for me and I know it'll just take some time for me to do so independantly. I'm pretty happy with my progress so far and the instructors were surprised it was only my second time up there.

The program I go to for my lessons did say that they sell a few of their mono-skis each year and replace it with new ones. They currently have a Freedom Factory Revolution that I have been using. Does anyone have experience with this mono-ski? If they end up selling the Revolution at the right price, I may try to buy it.

#24 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

are you able to pick yourself up after a fall? How long did it take for you to get strong enough or learn how to do so? It's such a struggle for me and I know it'll just take some time for me to do so independantly.

Only if I fall up the slope and it's fairly steep - with my level it's almost impossible to twist to manouver the bob into the right place to push up. The trick is to not fall over :-) The lower your level the easier it gets. There's always someone around offering to help but I don't ski unaccompanied. Would love to be able to do it 100% of the time but can't see that happening for me so don't worry too much about it :-)
Russ - T2complete

#25 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

At my level, I'm able to manuver around but i can't get up yet. I am on the bunny slope, so I imagine it being easier when it's a steeper slope. I'd love to be 100% independant on the slopes, but I do realize it's going to be a challenge. I will have to build up my shoulder muscles a bit too, I guess it's time for me to start working out again.

#26 twisted_ophelia

twisted_ophelia

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 incomplete

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:36 AM

thanks for the link, i'll email them and see if they can help me out. for me, i was told to put my outriggers in the push position, have someone count down for when the chair is right behind me and then i look down, push up to clear the chair lift and look back. looking back will shift your weight backwards into the seat ensuring you get on completely. then getting off is easier, put up your arms with the outriggers, and when you get to the ramp, i just throw my arms forward and down and my body slides forward and down the ramp. hope that helps.

Cool, thanks for the tip. We'll have an another instructor along with us who will be there to pick me up if needed and get me on the lift, etc. My friend that's teaching me is not only an instructor but a kick ass mono skier so I'm sure he'll show me how to do it right but I'm just not wanting to get knocked down by the chair lift (this happened the last time I was sit skiing) and be face down while everyone points and laughs. Pre-injury, when I skied, I was never really a fan of the chairlift--getting on or off--anyway. I used to get knocked down all the time by the thing when I was a kid! I'm definitely going to try and get good enough quickly to ski more challenging terrain after a few days in Mammoth. Having a lot of prior ski experience, I think this is a pretty reachable goal. Eventually, I'd really like to go heli mono skiing. Heli skiing is something I'd always wanted to do so why not do it in a mono ski, right?! One day!

Wow, sounds like a fun trip! are you able to pick yourself up after a fall? How long did it take for you to get strong enough or learn how to do so? It's such a struggle for me and I know it'll just take some time for me to do so independantly. I'm pretty happy with my progress so far and the instructors were surprised it was only my second time up there.

The program I go to for my lessons did say that they sell a few of their mono-skis each year and replace it with new ones. They currently have a Freedom Factory Revolution that I have been using. Does anyone have experience with this mono-ski? If they end up selling the Revolution at the right price, I may try to buy it.

I was able to pick myself up in a bi-ski but it was a tremendous effort and I seriously thought I was going to drop dead afterwards. I was able to use momentum, strength, and plain ole determination (and much huffing and puffing) to get myself up again. I think it will be significantly easier in a mono. My buddy that is teaching me to ski out in Mammoth uses the Revolution Pro Comp I believe it is. That's the one I eventually want to buy as well. He recommended it to me so I'm assuming he must be a big fan of it :) Someone mentioned to me that Revolutions are better for smaller people, like under 5'9" but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Edited by twisted_ophelia, 13 February 2009 - 02:37 AM.

Mimi Machine! Extreme Sports and Spinal Cord Injury Blog - http://mimimachine.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/twisted_ophelia

#27 roo

roo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t 3/4 complete 23yrs now

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

Have you thought about applying for a Back-up ski course. I can guarantee that you'll have a huge amount of fun with up to 9 other wheelies and you'll get a great opportunity to take your skiing on to a new level. And you don't even need your own ski.
Back-up Trust Website

Courses for Paras in USA and France and if you get an application in quickly they're showing as still having places available. Give them a ring or drop them an email.

hi russ i noted you are from the uk, am also from the uk but ,,now am in hungary living now .have you ever been sking in austria ,,, if so do you have any info on sking park's there as am only 2hr drive from austria from my villa's,,, and am itching to have a bash at it any info would be great ,,,,,
many thx roo

ROO'S WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY VILLAS.
http://www.sunnyrothvillas.com email info@sunnyrothvillas.com

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.