#1 Gibbo

Gibbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t8/9 comp.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hi, i was injured in august this year and am at home now. :angry:
Every morning i wake up with my legs dripping with sweat and when i am in the chair my bum and groin gets all sweatys, its skank! Is this normal or is there somthing i can do about it??
Also i am always cold and takes me along time to warm up if i ever do!!
Any advice???

thanks
Gibbo :lol:

#2 Gibbo

Gibbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

Sorry August 2005..

#3 keps

keps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hi Gibbo, can I ask what level of injury you are?

I have a T2 complete injury. I was injured in September 2004, and a few weeks after injury, I started to experience extreme sweating.
I only really sweat from the stomach up, but it was bad.
Every time I lay down, so especially at night, I would end up soaking wet with sweat. It was so bad that the bedclothes had to be changed every night, as they were drenched and I was worried about my skin.

The sweating had nothing to do with temperature for me, either. I could be freezing cold, but if I lay down, the sweating began.

I was prescribed propantheline (pro-banthine) for this problem, and I would not be without it, as it works brilliantly. I haven't ended up drenched for a long time now.
The only drawback I've found is that it gives me a dry mouth, but I can put up with that.

Perhaps something to consider?

Edited by keps, 11 January 2006 - 08:41 PM.

Paraplegic since Sept 30th 2004 (spontaneous spinal extradural haematoma).

#4 *ben*

*ben*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

hello, I've been a quadriplegic for 12 years now, and I used to sweat really bad, so bad that I had to put paper towels inside my shirts just to keep them from getting soaked every time I got up. My main problem was I had a large pressure sore at the time, but even now if I'm sitting in the wrong position, or some part of me below the level of injury is uncomfortable I will start to sweat regardless of the temperature. Talking to a doctor is probably the best advice I can give, but first I would make sure the problem isn't just a matter of some part of your body being uncomfortable, like you I also get very cold and cannot seem to warm up, I attribute that to poor circulation, but once again you might want to ask the doctor. I hope this helped a little. good luck with the problems I hope they gets sorted out for you.

#5 Gibbo

Gibbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, i am t9 complete. it is only my bottom half that sweats from t9. my top half does not sweat. in the morning ther is an outline of my body on the sheet in sweat. Because i am 16 the docs dont want to chuck 2 many tablets down me for 1 reason or another lol

thanks again
Gibbo

#6 bubbleandsqueak

bubbleandsqueak

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 complete paraplegic

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

I had this same problem and I talked to my doctor and there are many drugs that he can give you to help and or even stop. I know I still sweat but only when I should.(hot or exercising)
..........Chris, T3 complete paraplegic..........
..........One Day Iâll Be Free, Free To Be Anything I Want To Be, Until That Day Youâll See What They Want Me To Be ..........
..........It's Better To Be Hated For Who You Are Than Loved For Who Your Not..........

#7 Gibbo

Gibbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

What are the tablets called please?? how long after injury did they give you the tablets??

cheers Gibbo

#8 hillarymcarter

hillarymcarter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Spouse-L1 para

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

When my husband sweats, it is usually an indicator that something isn't right. It could be as simple as a wrinkle in the sheet below him. Make sure to check your whole body very carefully for any sign of a pressure sore.

#9 Jilly

Jilly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:friend

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:12 AM

When my guy sweats from his bottom half its usually a sign of something not right as well, it may well be a signal from your body to tell you something is wrong.
there may be pain or discomfort somewhere where you cant feel. When he is hot he sweats only from the part of his body with sensation.

#10 bubbleandsqueak

bubbleandsqueak

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 complete paraplegic

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:45 AM

Evey night i take 0.1mg of clonidine it's a generic for catapres.
..........Chris, T3 complete paraplegic..........
..........One Day Iâll Be Free, Free To Be Anything I Want To Be, Until That Day Youâll See What They Want Me To Be ..........
..........It's Better To Be Hated For Who You Are Than Loved For Who Your Not..........

#11 sandyrun

sandyrun

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:b/f C 4,5,6 incomplete

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

My b/f was injured at age 16, and is now 53. When he was injured his sweat glands locked up (don't know if all did or not). So he doesn't sweat like I do when he gets hot. He avoids excess heat in the summer, and drinks plenty of water, at all times. This helps keep him cool, as well as it is great for the kidneys and flushes out impurities.

Otherwise, when he sweats is is usually an indication that he has some sort of infection or is in pain in an area that he cannot feel.

Be sure to watch your backend.
B/F is Quad C 4,5,6 incomplete as of July 27, 1969.

#12 rooster1005

rooster1005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:hubby T-11 complete

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

I agree with the other in that you need to check your backside for a pressure sore. The only other thing would be the type of pants you are wearing. My husband wears those excercise pants that feel slick. Almost like plastic. They make transferring very easy for him but they caused him to sweat until his body adjusted to them. Other than that excessive sweating ussually means his body is trying to tell him something is wrong. Best of luck you to :)

#13 rollingpix

rollingpix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-6

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

What you could be experiencing is a condition called "AD". AD is also known a autonomic dysreflexia. This is a condition that people with spinal cord injuries regularly have - caused by a number of factors. These factors are: pressure sores, constrained limbs, testicles or infection as a short list. However your sweating below the level of your injury and AD is usually above the level of your lesion. This is curious. You say that your "sweating" and it is below your injury - have you ruled out that it is possibly urine? It could be that your bladder is emptying - you did mention an odor. Sweating below the level of injury is problematic. Re the "cold". I reread your post and strongly believe you have an infection in your urine or stool and your bladder is emptying through your penis. Go see a urologist and rule out any kind of infection. I hope this helps.

P.S. Please check your tailbone and heels for any kind of ulceration.

Edited by rollingpix, 14 January 2006 - 01:48 AM.

#14 Vicki

Vicki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:40 AM

Hi Gibbo,

I agree with rollingpix and co. I get autonomic dysrelexia [AD] whenever 'something' below my level of injury is wrong e.g. pressure area, infection. Part of AD is sweating above the injury. I have bypassed the catheter when I've had a bladder infection or irritation in the genital region. I also get freezing cold but I've usually got a high temperature. You can bypass urine without being aware of it. You can use your local doctor to get a urine sample & have it tested.

Just a tip re excess sweat in the groin: I use zinc & castor oil cream, used on babies to prevent nappy rash, to prevent any fungal infections. It's good for between & under the toes for preventing tinea & other fungal bugs.

Good luck.
Vicki :)

#15 aznewmanfan

aznewmanfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5-c6
  • Injury Date:21-05-2000

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

hello, i've been paralyzed since may of 2000 from a 3-wheeler accident, i'm a c5 incomplete. everytime i get a uti i sweat really bad, especially when i'm in my wheelchair. i also feel like i'm freezing. also, i sweat no matter what the temperature is. for the last several months i've been sweating again and sure enough i had a uti and i took antibiotics, they say that there is a trace of bacteria in my urine but that is normal since i have a catheter. the problem is that i'm still sweating and it's driving me crazy!!!!! i've taken so many antibiotics that i think my body is resistant to them. i wish the sweating would go away and stay away!!!!!

#16 stonelady

stonelady

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7
  • Injury Date:1984

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi, it might be constant sweating from a bedsore or something hurting below your injury. I get this constant sweating, but the reason for my sweating is a bladder stone. I believe the reason for me getting the bladder stones are from drinking cranberry juice. Yes I know I am no doctor but I know my body and I watch everything. If you drink cranberry juice this might be the problem. Get an ultrasound done.

#17 luminitza

luminitza

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 C6
  • Injury Date:18/10/2003

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hi.I try to understand why I'm sweating sometimes and I've found this forum.I have to say that I have some pressure sores and kydney stones,but what I don't  understand is why I'm not sweating while I sit in the wheelchair or when I am in bed,but only when I sit the armchair (if I stay inside the house).Thank you.

#18 Crepe

Crepe

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/C6
  • Injury Date:01-01-1964

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

Do you use your wheelchair cushion when you are in the armchair?  I find that armchairs, couches, car seats, etc. cause a lot of discomfort, so I have to use a wheelchair cushion when sitting on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.